BidVertiser

Monday, July 28, 2014

Bashing The Voice Kids Winner

by Discreet Serpent

For the past 24 hours or so, I have been trying my best to keep my opinion on the Voice Kids results to myself. Just like any other viewer, I do have my personal favorites and biases as to who should win and what have you. I even made a couple of comments to some of my friends just to share what I thought about the competition as a whole.


But given the sensitivity of the show (these are kids, for crying out loud) I decided to refrain from posting anything in social media. The kid who won, after all, had a great voice and and even better back story. Come to think of it, all four finalists probably deserved to be at the finals. If I have my way, I will make them all winners just to avoid seeing them cry on stage.

After checking my timeline, however, I got fed up about all the negative and irresponsible comments made by some people. These are working professionals and mature adults who slave all day so they can provide for their families. These are folks who should know better than to "attack" a defenseless little girl who was simply following her dreams. Some of them are friends (and they will most likely hear from me in the next couple of hours).

"The Voice, not The Charity"
The main argument given by these detractors is that the show is a TALENT show, hence the one with the most talent should take home the prize. Technically, this should be the case. However, everyone should consider the fact that appreciation of talent is subjective and is somewhat a gray area. I personally prefer singers who sound pleasant to the ears over those that blow the roof off the stadium. It would so much simpler if the format of the show was similar to Bagong Kampeon, with a handful of competent judges deciding the outcome. The Voice obviously follows a different format: the fate of the winner rests upon the the discriminating taste of the text voters. Whoever the masses vote for, wins. If the majority considers belting as more artistic than musicality, then so be it. End of story.

"She Won Because She's Poor"
The poor girl who used to sell garbage gets the sympathy of the masses. Boohoo. Get over it. I personally had other favorites but I was also rooting for this girl to win. Is the most talented among the bunch? That's debatable. But she is also young and she has her future ahead of her. Can you imagine how she will sound like when she reaches the ripe old age of 13? Her edge was her mass appeal and her back story. She had a tough life and she's doing what she can to have a better future. I don't know about you but I felt really happy and proud that this poor little girl got to go home to a new house.

"She's Ugly and Has No Future in the Industry"
A low blow. I've seen "uglier" faces who made it big in the industry because of their talents (and a little help from the "team"). They all end up "beautiful." (Tempted to name names...)

"Why Would People Vote for this Kid?"
Uhm... Did you even send a text vote? I don't think so. Reminds me of all the people who keep complaining about the government, but didn't even vote in the first place. Lame.

"The Boys Have a Better Shot of Getting Famous"
Probably true. These boys have the looks and the charm. And I'm pretty sure they will do well in show business. So I guess they won too, huh. (So what's the issue again?)

I think I've said too much at this point. I'm all for freedom of speech and respecting other people's opinions, but sometimes they need to be reminded that with that kind of power comes an even bigger responsibility. We have to be conscious about the possible ramifications of the things we post. In this case, is it really worth it to bash a defenseless little kid just because your favorite did not win? Did it make you sleep better last night? Did it change the results? Nuff Said.

I did find one of the comments funny though. "Darren (or JK) should have won because the show is called The Voice, not The Girls." Witty.

Image courtesy of: abs-cbn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bidvertiser

Chitika