BidVertiser

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

What Lesbians Think About Gay Men

by Discreet Serpent



Found this video called "What Lesbians Think About Gay Men" on YouTube today. It featured lesbians who were voicing out their thoughts about gay men, and a portion where gay men's perceptions were shared back to the ladies. I found the discussion rather distasteful, though I have a feeling that most of the things said are probably existing in real life.

Here are some of the stereotypes about gay guys that were discussed:
- Gay men are promiscuous. They probably have had sexual partners in ridiculously high numbers.
- Gay men smell like fruity chapsticks.
- Gay men wear pink pants, tight clothes, and look like girls.
- Gay men act like they are always in a hurry.
- In gay relationships, one party is head over heels in love while the other one couldn't care less.

In a related video referenced, gay guys supposedly had the following things to say about lesbians:
- Lesbians are boring cat lover who are desperate for love.
- Lesbians are always angry.

Like I said, my initial reaction was one of distaste. These stereotypes are just downright stupid, after all. But after a short reflection, I realized that these are borne from reality. I've seen it around me, and I have to admit that I have my own experiences with judging and being judged. I am guilty of believing certain stereotypes about lesbians and other people who are different from me. In the same manner, I have heard inaccurate and even hateful things said about discreet gay guys.

There is, indeed, an existing misunderstanding (and animosity) even amongst the factions of the LGBT community.

I have not always been comfortable with lesbians and loud gay guys. Not something to be proud of, but  that's just how it was. I thought lesbians were scary and could be the heck out of me any given day. Being in the presence of loud gay guys, on the other hand, usually gave me a feeling of unease. I didn't even care enough to know the difference between transexual and transgender. Most of my friends were "straight" or "discreet."

I suppose with maturity and the need to interact with different types of people (thanks to my day job)  came a certain level of understanding, tolerance, and acceptance. Understanding that not everyone needs to be canned within the confines of a certain stereotype. Tolerance in how we deal with differences and inequality. Acceptance that each of us have our own uniqueness that makes us who we are. I believe that I have grown so much as a person, as evidenced by the fact that my circle of friends has exponentially grown. I am no longer chained by useless limitations set by differences in age, culture, or sexual preference. I think I have learned to see past superficial facades, and go straight to the things that are substantial. Nonetheless, I know I still have a long way to go.

I like how the video ended. No, not the part where the host said that the lesbians would still need the gay guys to decorate the houses that lesbians will build (though that was funny, IMO). It is true that we should learn to accept and understand each other for who we are rather than use these differences as excuses to not get along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bidvertiser

Chitika