BidVertiser

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad HIV Testing Center?

by Discreet Serpent


I had an interesting chat conversation with someone today.  It started with his curiosity about my blog and progressed into a topic that I haven’t considered writing about. The short conversation went like this:

Him: What about HIV?
Me: Not an expert in that subject but I could probably research. Thanks :)
Him: I don’t think you need to be an expert. You can talk about how discreet people are averse on getting tested.  The stigma of getting seen at an HIV testing clinic. It compounds the problem of growing HIV incidences since people don’t know their status and they are not well aware of activities that put them at risk.
Me: That’s a good point, and so very true.
Him: But have you gone testing before? Or ever?
Me: I’m safe :) Never tested.
Me: Maybe you should be the one to write the article.
Him: Haha but I am not a writer. I do my part in another way
Me: You should try it. You have good grammar. And I can sense you are passionate about the topic. Your passion is kinda contagious, actually. Makes me wish I’m in front of my laptop right now.
Him: Haha. Thanks, but I’ll leave it to you since you are the creative one. I’m a very technical person. I don’t want to preach in writing.

image courtesy of pendyman.com 

It took me a couple of hours, but now I’m finally in front of my laptop. Writing. This conversation had my head spinning, to say the least. I am confident that I am HIV negative. I know my limits and I shy away from risky behavior. But then again, the only way to be 100% sure is to get tested. That is also the responsible thing to do, especially for people who engage in sexual activities with multiple partners.

What got to me, however, was his statement about people who are not comfortable about going into testing clinics. This really hit home because I admit that I couldn’t imagine voluntarily having myself tested in such a public place. What if I see people who know me? What if the clinic staff gives me judgmental looks? What if there’s a long queue and I have to sit there for hours? What if somebody posts a photo of me on Facebook? What if I test positive and people end up finding out? What if they give my name to the Health Department and I get dragged to an undisclosed location and leave me there to die? Some of these fears may be unreasonable, but I can imagine sharing these concerns with a lot of other sexually active people.

Obviously, my fears are borne of ignorance for the most part. I must admit, as educated as I am, that I have not instructed myself enough to know what I need to know about this virus. It took a simple comment from someone I have never met to shake me to my core and realize that I, as a gay guy and a member of this society, have responsibilities. To myself and to other people.

I do hope that common sense will eventually kill this stigma about having ourselves tested. Words may never be enough to help this situation, but they can (hopefully) inspire people to face their fears and be reasonable. Ignorance may be bliss, but knowledge is power. It may be difficult to face the possibility of having positive results, but I suppose the other option would be to stop having sex altogether (not a very promising alternative).

To find a testing site, just use Google and look for one located in your vicinity. If you are concerned about privacy, then you may opt to go to the clinic furthest from your location (to minimize sightings and uncomfortable moments). The tests are supposedly private and anonymous, but don’t take my word for it. Inquire. Who knows, there may be an option to use a fake name or something.

Allow me to summarize some of the basics, that I may sleep better tonight knowing I contributed to the war against this killer virus.

                HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) is a retrovirus that causes HIV infection. Its entrance into the body lowers the immunity or the ability to fight off disease.
AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome) is a condition characterized by a combination of signs and symptoms, caused by HIV, which attacks and weakens the body’s immune system, making the afflicted individual susceptible to other life threatening infection.
                HIV is transmitted by (1) having unprotected sexual intercourse (vaginal, anal or oral) with someone who is HIV positive, (2) having a transfusion with infected blood, (3) sharing syringes and needles with someone who is HIV positive for drugs and tattoos, and (4) mothers to their unborn babies and through breastfeeding
                HIV can be detected through (1) Antibody test - an indirect test that measures the response of one’s body to the presence of HIV, and (2) Antigen test - a test that directly measures the virus
                HIV Testing is voluntary, confidential and anonymous, with pre and post-test counseling. The window period for testing is 6 months from the last exposure with HIV.
                Generally, it is recommended that you wait three months after possible exposure before being tested for HIV. Although HIV antibody tests are very sensitive, there is a 'window period' of 3 to 12 weeks, which is the period between infection with HIV and the appearance of detectable antibodies to the virus.
                Knowing your HIV status has three vital benefits. Firstly, if you are HIV positive, you can take necessary steps before symptoms appear to access treatment, care and support services, thereby potentially prolonging your life for many years. Secondly, if you know you are infected, you can take all the necessary precautions to prevent the spread of HIV to others. Thirdly, your health care provider may recommend it, for example if you are pregnant and want to protect your unborn child. It may also be recommended by your health care provider if you are unwell, in order to obtain a more accurate medical assessment.
                There are many places where you can be tested for HIV: in the offices of a private doctor, a local health department, hospitals, family planning clinics and sites specifically set up for HIV testing. Always try to find testing at a place where counselling is provided. In some communities home-based counseling and testing are available and can include couples counseling and support for safe post test disclosure of results.

Dear God, help me find the strength to do this simple act. And help other people make the same realization, too.

2 comments:

Bidvertiser

Chitika