BidVertiser

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Falling For Your Straight Best Friend

by Discreet Serpent


I fell in love with my college (straight) best friend. Hard. I did everything to make him happy because that in turn made me happy. We were inseparable, and at some point I felt the feelings reciprocated. We never officially entered into a romantic relationship, but we did consummate our bond. Numerous times. We didn’t end up together (he is now happily married, and still a good friend), but I always wondered if a gay person like me could ever have a platonic “best” friendship with a straight guy.

So here’s the question I sent out to social media today: Is it possible for a gay guy to have a straight guy best friend? Is it strictly a friendly relationship or is it inevitable that one will fall in love with the other? Have you ever been in this situation?




Yes, straight guys and gay guys can be the best of friends

“Yes. It’s no different from a guy having a girl best friend (and vice versa).”
***Anonymous***

“Hi! I think it’s possible and from what I learned in my class, philosophy of  a person, true friendship doesn’t level off or in other words, differences such as sexual orientation, social class, and believe should not be factors.”
***Taft 111***

“It is possible. I have had that setup and I didn’t fall for my straight best friend. You just have to know your limitations because it is doubtful that the straight guy will ever fall for you. The gay guy in the setup will almost always be the one to fall victim. In my case, I know what he is (straight) and I definitely know who I am. We’ve shared a bed for sleeping many times and it’s just normal for us.”
***Alchemist***

“I think it is possible. The same way you are never attracted to all your gay straight acting friends even if they are not attached.”
***Anonymous***

“It is possible, as long as there is open communication between the parties.”
***@jayceesachet***

“A straight guy could have a gay best friend and vice versa.”
***romanus***

“It is always possible. There’s a thin line that is drawn to separate love and best of friendship. In that setting, the gay man is more likely to fall I love rather than the straight guy. Or the friendship can be as neutral as it is in knowing each other very well without looking at the sexual preferences of each other. Respect is the strongest line that will make such friendship possible.”
***Adam’s Apple”

“Yes it is possible. Just keep your libido in check and never blur the lines.”
***@akosiaxle***



It boils down to circumstances

“Gender should not be an issue with friendship. So, yes it is possible for a gay guy to have a straight guy best friend. They just have to properly set each other’s expectations and minds. They always have to be on guard with their feelings so as not for them to fall in love with the other. But there’s always a chance to fall in love with the other. This happens even with heterosexual relationships.”
***Rock my world!***

“Possible. But if you friend is good looking and hot, you will probably fall in love with him.”
***Anonymous***

“I think it is possible but it really depends on the attitude of both parties. Most straight dudes are extremely homophobic and most gay guys get easily horny.”
***Miko Chato, @mikochato***

“Yes that’s possible. However, it depends on how they will handle their situation. Too much care will lead one (or both) to fall in  love.”
***Lance***

I have no idea!

“Sorry, I never had that experience so I can’t help you. Have a good day!”
***RickOng***

 "Hehe. I don't know. Sorry."
***Michael***

image from Brokeback Mountain

One person ends up falling for the other

“For me it depends on the straight guy on how he is going to accept his gay best friend, and if the gay guy sets limitations. I don’t usually have relationships with my close friends; strictly friends, indeed. Even if I sometimes fall for them.”
***Benz, Davao City***

“When I told my guy best friend that I was bi and that I was on the verge of having (romantic) feelings for him, he just said two things: (1) I can still be your best friend no matter what, and (2) I can not be more that a best friend to you. To simplify it, if you really want your friendship to last, do not ask for more than what is due.”
***@decarabao***

“Yes, actually I have a close straight guy friend for three years. When my other friend told me that this guy had feelings for me, I was alarmed. I talked to him and he said he was attracted to my personality. He was caring, and was willing to break up with his girlfriend just to have me. We did not end up together; that was my choice. Now, he already has a wife and a family of his own. And I am happy for him.”
***Friend Mo, Davao City***

“It depends on the two guys involved. It’s totally possible for two guys to remain platonic. This happens when they really have a long history of being friends. It’s usually harder on the gay guy as sometimes the straight guy is his type. But if not, then I’m sure it’ll remain platonic. If the straight guy is his type, however, that’ll be the time when they can’t remain friends as the gay guy will start falling and expect to get more from the straight guy.”
***Archer113***


Back to me

First and foremost, I have to qualify that my concern deals with the one person who is dearest to you and whom you would take a bullet for – your best friend. I know that platonic friendship with a straight guy is a no-brainer. I see it around all the time. But what makes it tricky with best friends is the fact that we love them with all our heart, and they are at the top of the line. And sometimes, especially with libido involved, this love can be muddled with lust (among other things). And that’s when things start to get complicated.

In my opinion, such a relationship could exist. But is it built to remain platonic, or is it doomed to fail?

Friendship is founded on love, respect and trust. Two people, regardless of age, sex or nationality, could potentially end up as best friends if they found the right combination of personality and interests. As such, a straight guy and a gay guy could be best friends if they share the same passions and have a mutual regard for each other.

Such a closeness, however, could lead to desire. In one or both parties. Most of the time, it remains hidden in the guise of friendship. It takes a lot of love to realize that the friendship would be lost if romance is involved, and for the person in love to put his feelings aside for the sake of friendship. In some cases, the love is reciprocated and everybody lives happily ever after. In others, one person confesses and ends up alienating his best friend. Either way, the friendship mutates into something else.

Those who are able to distinguish between romance and friendship are the lucky ones. They have the discipline to compartamentalize emotions and leave things as they are. It also helps if you are not physically attracted to your best friend – that would save you a lot of grief. Communication is also an important factor here, as it minimizes confusion and prevents wrong signals.

So in summary, I am inclined to believe that such relationships are complicated. But what relationship isn’t complicated?


RELATED POSTS

How to seduce a straight guy




No comments:

Post a Comment

Bidvertiser

Chitika