BidVertiser

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Do Our Parents Need To Know About Our Sexuality?

by Discreet Serpent


It’s an age old question. How much should our parents know about our lives? Should they be privy on who we are dating and how we are spending our evenings? Do they have to know about our sexuality or is that something that’s better off left in oblivion? I personally have NOT told my parents about my sexual preference. Do they know about it? Probably. They would be insensitive and dense not to notice. Do we talk about it? Never. 

I have a lot of friends who have decided to keep their secret from their families. Each has a different reason. Some are not comfortable. Some are afraid of the repercussions. Some just don’t care. They either just live their lives pretending to be something they are not, or just enjoy what they have and leave other people wondering.

I also have friends who have told their families about their preference. Some of them surprised their parents when they came out. Some of them are obvious and didn’t need to say anything at all.

So I just had to ask around: Do your parents know you’re gay/bi? If NOT, do you have plans of telling them (and how)? If YES, how did they find out (and what was their reaction)?

image courtesy of liveleak.com

YES, they know about it

“Yes. Parental instinct…”
***@IRRELEVANTguy08***

“Yes. They found out through my relatives and the transformation I had. And now, I’m a legal bitzzz."
***@iloveDICKSxxx***

“Well in my case, even when I was young, they’ve been saying that I am gay. But when I grew up I became more masculine so they cannot determine my true sexual orientation. My mother and sisters know that I am bisexual. I tell them what I feel about myself and they are in full support of me. I can’t talk about it with my brother because I’m afraid about how he would feel if he found out that his only brother is gay.”
***Zack, 28***

“They know.”
***anonymous***

“My parents are well aware of it and it’s open in our family. Maybe because it runs in the blood. But we’re not out. The bisexual genes are from my mom’s American grandparents.”
***Beau, 29***


We NEVER DISCUSSED it

“I never had a girlfriend and probably they knew ever since I was young. Instinct? Well, they just shut up about it. My sisters are open to it but they never ask about it.”
***Verve, 30***

“ I guess they always knew. We never spoke about it, like had a sit-down of sort. I guess I’m blessed with loving parents.”
***TheJeffCifra***

“I consider my mom as my bestfriend. We haven’t really talked about my sexual preference but I think she knows. Mother’s instinct. Maybe she just loves me that much and does not want me to be embarrassed in any way. In case she asks me, I’d be willing to tell her. How? I’ll be extra sweet, sit beside and hug her, and share my story from the day I realized that I am me. Of course, minus the sexual stories.”
***olaf, 29***

 image courtesy of artfire.com

NO, and I would keep it that way

“I did not admit that I am gay when I was confronted by my parents. Maybe they sensed that I’m different because of my lifestyle and choices. I don’t plan on telling them any of this.”
***0917554xxx9, 24***

“No. No plans.”
***Dude4DateB,  28***

"No, because I'm afraid of the reaction not only of my family but even friends and other people."
***name***

“No. Maybe if they ask.”
***Swimmer, 26***

“No, they don’t. I don’t see the possibility of coming out to them; at least not in the near future.”
***anonymous***

“They don’t know. And I don’t have plans of telling them.”
***UsapTayo!, 25***


We handle things differently
Obviously, different people handle their personal issues differently. Some people feel obliged to tell their parents about their sexuality because not doing so would be a violation of trust. Other people feel that they are not under any obligation to explain themselves to anyone. Still others are feeling the weight of social pressure and are afraid of being discriminated against or rejection. It boils down to a personal decision: is coming out to your parents really that important to you?

A lot of discreet gay guys claim that should their parents or siblings confront them about their sexuality, they would be happy to discuss it. Ask and you shall find out. I have said this myself numerous times. But I wonder how the conversation would really go. First, I am curious as to what would make my parents ask in the first place. Second, I wonder what the scenario would be (over dinner? During a family vacation? A random question while we’re stuck in traffic?) And finally, would I be as calm and collected as I think I would be? Chances are, I would be caught off guard and mumble words before I could answer. Now I’m dreading that moment.


RELATED POSTS







No comments:

Post a Comment

Bidvertiser

Chitika